Project “Go-Green”- Green Delhi
In the field of environmental protection led by Sonalika CSR under Project “GO GREEN”, which focuses on making the areas of Delhi cleaner and greener along with our stake holders such as, Delhi Park and Garden Society, Department of Forest, Government of India, Department of Environment and Forest, Government of Delhi, Eco Clubs in Schools of Delhi along with our implementing agency Clean And Green Association - Project Running in New Delhi.
- Creating awareness among residence of all age through various competitions such as painting for Children, photography etc in Vasant Vihar.
- Tree census in Vasant Vihar area
- “Food-Waste-To-Compost” Project at Shanti Niketan along with the Shanti Niketan Residence Association.
- Plantation drive and maintenance in Shanti Niketan, Delhi.
- Plantation workshops designed for schools in Delhi for a span of 6 months. Sessions started in the following schools:
- 1) MCD Girls School, Sri Niwaspuri
- 2) Purna Prajna School, Vasant Kunj
- 3) Government Boys Senior Secondary School, G Block Saket
- 4) Chinamay Vidyalaya, Vasant Vihar
- 5) Lalit Mahajan School, Vasant Vihar
Under the implementing agency, “Clean and Green Association”, Sonalika till date has adopted 35 colonies in the city of Hoshiarpur and have launched garbage cleaning activities and maintenance of the green environment around. The program is done through engaging the community and other stakeholders who enthusiastically participate in running it on ground with Sonalika ITL.Today, this thought is well aligned with Prime Minister’s vision of Swatch Bharat Abhiyan. Today, armed with an ISO certification for one of the 35 colonies, i.e. Indira Colony: This is the first colony of its kind in India which was covered widely across print and electronic media. We keep on adding 2 colonies each year where our target is to make entire Hoshiarpur a clean and garbage free city.
Under this project we focus to make the areas of Delhi cleaner and more greener with our stake holders like Delhi Park and Garden Society, Department of Forest, Government of India, Department of Environment and Forest, Government of Delhi, Eco Clubs in Schools of Delhi along with our implementing agency Clean And Green Association . This project is focused to bring more greenery in, and around Delhi so the pollution and temperature can go down a bit. Go-Green, Delhi try to create awareness in local societies and work in coordination with them to make their area greener place to live. It also focuses in creating awareness in people to keep their area clean and garbage free.
In continuation to the project Mitigating Air of Delhi along with UNIC we are also working on the cause of air pollution in winter due to stubble burning.
- To create awareness about environment by arranging awareness camps with children. For which painting competition for children of Vasant Vihar Welfare Association has been executed.
- Protect the environment for which we have initiated tree census in Vasant Vihar area which is ongoing the report is much awaited in two months.
- Make the areas garbage free for which we are working closely with Shanti Niketan Residence Association for “Food-Waste-To –Compost” Project where waste is collected and utilized for a better use by converting it to compost
- Making areas greener by plantation and upkeep of parks for which we have started plantation drive and park development in Shanti Niketan, Delhi.
We all have being witnessing the deteriorating quality of air, water, soil and quality of life as a whole by each passing day. A major cause that suffocates Delhi is the field burning practice by the farmers in the states of Punjab and Haryana. However, reports from various areas, including Karnal district in Haryana and Patiala district in Punjab, suggest that farmers are still burning paddy straw despite being asked to shun the practice by the authorities, including the state pollution control boards and the agriculture departments.
The practice of farmers harvesting the crops by hand is on the decline due to shortage of manpower so most use combines to cut crop, which renders the stubble useless. To get rid of the stubble and to get ready at the earliest for the new crop, farmers burn the fields to prepare it for sowing the next crop. The soil also gets robbed of all the important nutrients and is turning carcinogenic.
The problem is threefold:
- The farmers do not have the technical expertise to clear their land after harvesting.
- The equipment which are used namely cutter, liner and baller machines to clear the stubbles are very expensive.
- The farmers do not know where to sell or dispense the gathered stubble bales.
We at Sonalika intend to take a step forward to curb air pollution by adopting a village of Haryana at a time and clear the farm fields on behalf of the farmers without charging them any cost. We will declare each such village as a “Green Village” keeping in the interest of all the stakeholders namely the farmers & the panchayat.